Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week 4 Blog

These three self-assessment tool helped me identify my weaknesses as well as my strengths. I was able to identify the positives and negatives which I can build on and enhance both.  I was basically not surprised at the results when I answered the questions myself however, I was somewhat surprised at the answers I was given my co-worker and a family member.
My family member and coworker had very similar views on the communication anxiety inventory piece. One particular difference in the way I perceive myself and the way in which my family member and coworker perceived me in regards to having self confidence and feeling comfortable communicating in most situations.  My family member and coworker’s view was that I was often very comfortable and very relaxed in speaking to a large or small group of people and my view was that experience a considerable amount of anxiety.  
My family member and coworker also had very similar views in regards to verbal aggressive scale and their score was only two point difference.  However, their responses were also very similar to my answers with only a two and four point difference. I felt very proud and honored that my coworker and also my family member viewed me as an individual who engages in verbal aggressiveness or personal attacks no matter the situation.
Again when questioned by my family member and coworker I received similar responses to the questions.  When I completed test three I was placed in Group I and when my coworker and family member completed test three they also placed me in Group I. I consider myself as a good listener however I do have room for improvement, particular when patience is challenged. My coworker as well as my family member both identified this as a weakness, patience. Until I completed this assignment I never realized that I was letting my short patience show in my conversations, this was a gained insight for me.

4 comments:

  1. Betty,

    I think we all have room for improvement in many situations, and this assignment was good in showing where some of our weaknesses were.

    I see you saw where your short patience showed, whereas I did not realize that from my own assessment, but my friends reported it to me in theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty,
    The assessments evaluation may not be a true picture of our communication skills. Our perception of others and others’ perception of us are based on cultural background, past experiences and our feelings. It is important to understand the way our own unique background affects our perception (O’Hair, & Wiemann, 2009).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty,
    I do agree that each of us can identify areas for improvement. I think the verbal aggressiveness scale held my attention for a much longer period of time than the others. You expressed delight over the fact that both your family member and co-worker viewed you as a person who engages in verbal aggressiveness regardless of the situation. I must say that it is healthy. Verbal aggressiveness is defined as “a message behavior” that impact on a person’s self-concept (Myers & Rocca, 2001 cited Infante & Wigley, 1986). It therefore impacts on whom you are as such a person must defend what he or she believes or stand for in order to convince others. Persons are likely to be taken for granted if they are unable to convince others of the very message they seek to promote.

    Reference
    Myers, S.A. & Rocca, K. A. (2001). Perceived Instructor Argumentativeness and Verbal Aggressiveness in the College Classroom: Effects on Student Perceptions of Climate, Apprehension, and State Motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience is also an area that I need improvement in. I think this may be common in our society because we work at such a rushed pace and and expect instant gratification.

    ReplyDelete