Saturday, October 29, 2011

Professional Hopes and Goals


One hope I have in reference to working with children and families who come from a diverse background would be that I had a positive impact on their life.  For families who are diverse and particularly those who are not from this country for the most part have issues of trusting people, therefore, I hope to create a line of communication with the family and child to ensure that success takes place.  I always hope to strive to provide the families and children with the upmost respect and to stir away from stereotyping.
One goal I would like to set for early childhood related to issues of diversity, equality and social justice to also provide the families with equality and always provide them with respect.  I also pledge to avoid stereotyping and making assumptions related to their culture or diversity.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this class…it has been one of my favorite and it was a joy having some of the same colleagues in this class. I wish everyone the best of luck on their endeavors and professional dreams. Also thanks to Dr. Ferrari for providing such an interesting class and information.  I look forward to seeing some of you in the next class!

4 comments:

  1. Betty,
    Avoiding stereotyping is very important. Sometimes our actions as well as our comments are not intended to hurt nor discriminate, nor stereotype. But according to whom we make them to, or the situation, or the manner it was said can be demeaning and disrespectful to the individual. All of us have opportunity to avoid stereotyping because of the knowledge we gained from the course. We have the privileges now to move beyond stereotyping.
    Thanks for your insights throughout the course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty. I agree. I think we all want to make a positive difference in the lives of children. By placing a stronger emphasis on diversity, equity, and social justice, I believe that this goal can be accomplished. I also like what you said about stereotypes and discrimination. Although nature, stereotypes can lead to microaggressions, "isms", and bias which are extremely harmful to children, families, and societies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty,
    I think that it is great that you hope to build trust with the children and families in your classroom community. That is the key part of communicating because you have to be able to trust one another in order for it to be effective. We can have a positive impact on the lives of children just by showing them that we care. We have to stand up for them and protect them from harm’s way. Being open minded and anti-bias will allow us to steer away from placing judgment, labeling or stereotyping them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty,
    I thank you for making a pledge to avoid stereotyping and assumptions. As a person who is born and raised in a different part of the world I have faced with frustrating situations alot due to individuals and their assumptions or stereotyping. Never avoid asking questions with respect,every one appreciate that.
    Thank you for sharing your wisdom and passion. Wish you all the best on the rest of coursers.

    ReplyDelete