Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Country of Origin:  Ecuador
Map and flag of Ecuador.

Five Ways in which I will prepare myself for their arrival:

1.   First of all as a Head Start Employee we must provide a translator, therefore, I would ensure that this is set up.
2.   Gather basic information regarding their country, culture and traditions. Learn about the culture, language and history of their family and not make assumptions.
3.  Prepare my current students for the upcoming arrival of a new student, who is culturally diverse.
4.  Take the time to visit a family that is possibly from the same country is available, search my resources and community contacts.
5.  Try and get supplies that are in the native language and also decorate the classroom with things are familiar to him or that respect his or her culture.
In preparation of the above steps I hope to ensure my sensitivity in learning about cultures, language, and history of the families. I also hope to not make assumptions about anything and provide information on the most basic things that we take for granted. I just hope doing the above steps will ensure a smooth transition.

3 comments:

  1. Betty,

    I was unaware that you provide a translator! That is great, and will be very helpful for children and families that are new!

    Incorporating the countries items into the classroom is great and a way to offer comfort the children and families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have great suggestions. I think it is important that the child see people from his culture reflected in the classroom. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty,
    It's just about showing respect and having an awareness of other cultures. It is important to know that what we do to welcome families and children will and can have a lasting influnce on them. Therefore, we should let our environment reflect diversity, and equity for all who enter.

    ReplyDelete