Thursday, July 14, 2011

Getting to Know Your International Contacts

I have been unsuccessful at receiving back from professionals outside of the US so I choose the alternative activity, Podcast and researching the website http://www.childhoodpoverty.org/.
On the Morning Show on NBC this morning they had a piece on their about Poverty and Homelessness. The focus was on Charlotte North Carolina where they interviewed this single mother of five who has been homeless for a year and was currently living in a one bedroom apartment for homeless and displaced families.  The mother discussed the hardships of raising five children alone and trying to go to the school herself.  It was stated by the news reporter that one in every five children has or will experience homelessness sometimes in their life, which is 1.5million children. This number is astonishing and their needs to be a resolution to this ongoing problem that seems to be only getting worse with the state of our economy.
After studying this website the information according to the numbers were the same as I heard on the morning news which was an insight for me…I knew that many families were displaced, however, one out of five was heart breaking.
Another insight I gained through this website was that o 10 million children under five years old die every year from preventable diseases. As one of the most powerless groups in society, children often bear the physical and emotional costs of poverty.
The last insight I learned from this website was that I was unaware that something was being done drastically to increase poverty and homeless. The international community has committed itself to meeting the Millennium Development Goals by 2015. This includes lowering poverty rates, cutting by two-thirds the deaths of children under five and ensuring that all children in the world complete at least primary education.

6 comments:

  1. Betty,

    I was also very unsuccessful gaining contact with other professionals. I have asked family members and friends living outside of the United States to assist me, but they also did not gain contact.

    I gained most of my information from the website, and I found a different podcast, since the World Forum Podcasts did not discuss poverty...at least that I had been able to find, but I am very new to podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty,
    I am having a hard time understanding the number of children and families in poverty in the United States. As a person from a developing country I have seen some levels of poverty in developing countries. The United States of America is the richest and the most powerful country on the planet. In my mind this is impossible to have these staggering numbers but at the same time I work with these families also. This course is very eye opening and mentally exhausting at times for me but it is the reality and have to get involve with chaging the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Betty,
    I have been unable to hear from the contacts from around the world. I were amazed about the information I found on the http://www.childhoodpovety.org/website about the number of children living in poverty world wide. Until this taking this class, I had no idea that poverty and homelessness were such a crisis in the U.S. or world wide. With the information I learned about the different organizations and websites working to overcome this crisis, I am ready to join this fight to educate families and children to strive to overcome this crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This information that you found is great. The fact that we have such a prevalent number of people living in America in poverty is reflective of the recession. The story that NBC shared was a great way to get the word out and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poverty affects a child's well being and also places strain on their education. Most children from poverty stricken homes have poorer performance in school. Poor school performance also has a connection to cognitive and emotional development which is lower in poverty stricken children than those children who live in homes whose income is above the poverty line. With the number of children impacted by poverty it is great to know that organizations are participating in an international effort to lower rates of poverty, with clear goals set forth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betty as you can see there are a lot of children that lives in poverty which makes my heart go out to them because these children are our future and the future looks kind of slim right now because we have so many children that lives in poverty and some of them are not getting a quality education because they are hungry. I also like where you got your information from NBC news it was very informative

    ReplyDelete