Thursday, November 18, 2010

Personal Childhood Web

I have many individuals who have nurtured me and was influential during my young years and continue to be. First of all I have to say my mother and father are the first two to come to mind. My father passed away in 2000 and I miss him so much and even though he is no longer with me I still stop and think before I make a decision and ask the question "Would daddy approve of this?". I always looked for my father's acceptance and always felt the need to make him proud of me. My father grew up very hard and didn't have a formal education however, he was one of the most loving and nurturing person I have ever known. I remember so many nights as a young child I would sick either with a stomach virus or cold and my father would get up and set with me for hours with me and never complained. My mother and father also made me feel special.

I also had two older brothers, my baby brother was eleven years old than I so they both were influential in my life and provided alot of nurturing and protection of their little sister. My oldest brother provided more of disciplinary position, he always made sure I behaved. My younger brother provided me with a sense of security and protection growing up, however, we did have our share of fights.

Last but not least the last person to list is my babysister I had prior to starting school, her name was Mattie. Mattie was so much fun and she never got upset with me or at least she never showed it or raised her voice at me. We would play, dance and just have a wonderful time. When Mattie couldn't make it that day my mother would go and pick up the back-up babysister and I would cry and pitch a fit only because this babysister wasnt as nurturing.

5 comments:

  1. Betty, we share similiar stories. What your father did, was done by my mom, because my father was absent from the home. He was involved in parenting and this is very important. Many families today lacked the father figure parenting. They do not see the need to take on this role as your father did and so mom is taking on both roles. We have an opportunity to share information on the roles of father in families. Let's do it for the well being of the children in our care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, I think most of us in this course have a common theme that our family's provide us with the love and support that greatly influence our lives

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty I enjoyed reading your post. I lacked the father figure but my grandfather wore that hat with me. He too has passed away but he was Superman to me just like your father was to you. But all in all we got the same love and support. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babysitters do play a significant role in the life of a child. They are very influential persons. You were very fortunate to have had a wonderful babysitter because many parents are faced with the challenge of finding a reliable baby sitter for their young children. Babysitters role would concern families because some of them are total strangers and as such their values and belief system are called into question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although,my father was present in the home. He never took up the time with me like my grandfather did.I felt like my grandfather was my father because he taught me a lot about taking responsibility for my own actions,and work for what you want because no one is going to give you nothing free. Betty be proud your father cared enough to spend time with you.

    ReplyDelete