Saturday, May 21, 2011

POSITIVE EFFECTS OF RESEARCH

I have a personal reason why I feel that research has been beneficial. I have a two children, ages 15 and six, however, my older son has always been very healthy and had no health issue and to this day still doesn't, thank God! However, my six year was born weighing 6pounds and 4ounces and from the time of birth he has had issues. At birth he had colic until he was about nine months old so that meant I didn't get any sleep at night. He also developed asthma right after birth and when he was two he begin to have severe allergic reactions.  At the early age of two months he would develop cough and colds and he wasn't able to to get rid of it. The doctor diagnosed him with asthma symptoms so he was given a nebulizer and all sorts of solutions to use. This was such a benefit for him as well as myself.
When he turned two we took him into the pediatrician's office for his well check. He was given a series of immunizations as well as flu shot. We proceeded to leave the office and go to the Walmart where my son begin coughing uncontrollably and his face was getting more red my the second.  Then finally he said "mommy I cant breath"..........OMG.........As a mother I panicked and was so afraid for my helpless child who looked at me with those big blue eyes for help. We were only about two miles from the ER so we immediately left and took him to the ER where he was having an allergic reaction to the immunizations. From that day forward he was given an Epi-pen as a precaution. Since this episode we have had him tested thoroughly by a renowned allergist and found out that he was allergic to food he had been eating since birth, all grass and all tress.....he had SEVERE allergies.  He was put on a series of medications and with a lot of pray he has improved and his allergies are not as SEVERE at the age of six..........however, he still has medication daily and precautions still have to be done.
With all of this being said, if research had not been done then my child may not have had the allergy testing and other treatments he has received that SAVED his life in that ER that day! THANK GOD for research because I had a sick child that benefited from it!

5 comments:

  1. Betty,

    That had to be so frightening. I can not relate on that level, I know I get frightened when the kids at my center will cough or start to choke on food.

    Thank goodness for the research, they were able to take care of the problems he was having, and are able to treat his asthma and allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty,
    I am so glad that everything is o.k and your family has figured out the allegy list and what to do to help your son feel better.
    I was getting chills while I was reading your post, how quick things can change is scary to think.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you regarding research, I don't know where we would be as a society without research. With all of the medical breakthroughs, many people have benefited from the risks others have taken as participants of such research projects. I am glad to hear that your son is doing better, my son had many problems when he was young too. He was a premature birth and suffered with various respitory problems up until he was about five. I too am grateful for the many advances in medicine, which contributed to my son being alive today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty I am so glad that everything worked out alright for you and your child, I also had a scare similar to yours my child had RSV and I did not know it I thought it was just a common cold when I got my baby to ER she had 2% of oxygen in her body and she had turned very pale so I Know what you went through and by the grace of God they are doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have children with health issue, my oldest had started out with colic as well and I completely understand where you are coming from. My youngest has the allergies and breathing issues so I can relate there as well.
    I once went to check on my oldest that had a really bad cold and found her in a pool of blood from her nose, I panicked and took her to the ER, so I understand also what it is like to have a child in crisis and being the parent that rushes them for medical help.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete