Thursday, March 24, 2011

MY CONNECTION TO PLAY

My Connection to Play
Play is not only our creative drive; it’s a fundamental mode of learning.” ~ David Elkin (psychologist, author)
Play is the only way the highest intelligence of humankind can unfold.” ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce (author)
During play children are able to use their creative imaginations to discover and learn through play.  Play and creativity is the fundamental or the building block of learning.  



As a young child I think back to those long summer days of spending the day with my cousins at my grandmother’s house.  We loved to play on swings, riding our bikes and just playing outside. I one of the two girls out of five boys around so needless to say we also played with trucks and cars a lot.
I also had two older brothers at home who were a bit too old to play with me because my baby brother was 11 years older than I but that didn’t stop me from begging him to ride me around on his four wheeler or to pull me around in my wagon. As a child you could hardly ever find me playing in the house or watching television.  I wasn’t a big fan of playing with baby dolls but instead rather be outside playing.
At school I was a fan of the swing set and I loved to paint. Another thing I absolutely loved at home and school was playing house and cooking. I can remember many times cooking up a concoction for my family members that they would try sometimes but would often refuse to try.
I feel as though play has changed so much since I was child. As a child I was always outside in the yard playing and our parents didn’t expect us to come in until dark. However, youth today doesn’t spend as much time playing outside because they are consumed with music, playing video games and watching television.  
I’m a mother of two sons, ages 14 and 6 who both rather be outside than inside and I think my love of the outdoors influenced them and for that reason I believe that’s why they love the outdoors.

4 comments:

  1. When I would play with the neighborhood kids I was one of two girls that lived on the block. I found myself being a bit of a tom boy but I still enjoyed playing with girl toys. Funny how the times have changed, my kids are the only ones that live on our block and I can't leave them unsupervised like it was when we were kids. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From reading your blog, I can tell that you enjoyed playing as a child. It is sad today, that children can not experience the wonderful times we got to experience through childhood play. It is not safe to let your children go outside unattended to play. It is important to educate our parents and government officals that our children need to play sometimes through out the day. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty,
    Do you still enjoy cooking? I agree kids are consumed by electronics--I see it in my own kids. My son once told me when I said he should go outside and play with his friends, that he was already hanging out with his friends--it was then I realized the significant connection the computer plays in the life of a child today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty,
    Thanks for giving your children the opportunity to play outdoors.All children need opportunities outdoor play and it is important that they get this opportunity now. As early childhood educators, let us make our voices heard for children who are robbed of the opportunities to play.

    ReplyDelete